Tuesday, December 6, 2011

tuesday tuneage

So I was listening to the radio today, which I rarely do but Tommy lovingly stole back the iPod cord, and heard a list of music facts that were pretty interesting.

10 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music

1. Creed has sold more albums in the US than Jimi Hendrix.
2. Led Zeppelin, REM, and Depeche Mode have never had a number one single, Rihanna as 10.
3. Ke$ha's "Tik-Tok" sold more copies than any Beatles single.
4. Flo Rida's "Low" has sold 8 million copies- same as the Beatles' "Hey Jude".
5. The Black Eyed Peas' "I Got A Feeling" is more popular than any Elvis song.
6. Celine Dion's "Falling Into You" sold more copies than any Nirvana, Queen, or Bruce Springsteen record.
7. Katy Perry holds the same record as Michael Jackson for most number one singles from an album.
8. 20 million people bought Billy Ray Cyrus's album "Some Gave All...", more than any Bob Marley album.
9. The cast of Glee has had more song charts than the Beatles.
10. People pay to hear Justin Beiber sing. HAHA!

Buzzfeed.com has a few more than what I've listed, but oh my gosh! Ke$ha can't even spell her own name and she's outselling the Beatles?! THE BEATLES, people! I love a good cover but I can't believe number 9!

I realize a lot of this has to do with how music is produced now and how easily it is to access, after all The Beatles weren't on iTunes until after MJ died. It's probably also the shift in our society. People want party music so that's what they're downloading. Don't get me wrong, I love the new music and I wouldn't know how to dance to "Man in the Mirror", but the older stuff is way better in my opinion!

I hope you're jamming out to something good today, whatever it may be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hooray! A comment just for me!